- Used to be called short term memory.
- 7±2 chunks of information.
- A chunk in a group of times that can be recalled as a unit, e.g. your name instead of the individual letters.
- When full to add a new piece of information, you must lose a piece of information from Working Memory.
- Lasts ~30 seconds (Peterson & Peterson Distractor Task).
- Maintenance Rehearsal (repetition) will maintain.
- Requires attention to maintain.
- These are the items you are currently remembering.
- Most argue that information proceeds to working memory prior to permanent storage