- Permanent storage - relatively
- Unknown capacity
- It is organized as seen in Free Recall
- Type I or maintenance rehearsal: rote repetition.
- Type II or elaborative rehearsal: attempt to relate the new material to already learned material.
- forming visual images with item to be remembered can be a very effective way to learn new material.
- Thought to be due to dual trace, learn both as image and in a verbal format.
- The use of images forms the basis of most Mnemonics: memory aids, for example the method of loci.
Rehearsal or practice of material, in most cases some form of rehearsal is necessary for information to move to long-term memory.